Acoustic Guitar Amplifiers are installed to amplify the sound of your acoustic guitar and make some great sound effects. However, most of the guitar beginners are often confused, we cannot decide between a wide variety of amplifying devices available in the market. This confusion is basically due to excessive options and choices.
- 1 5 Best Acoustic Guitar Amps
- 2 Benefit of Acoustic Guitar Amp
- 3 The Parts of Amp:
- 4 How to Distinguish Several Types of Acoustic Guitar Amp?
- 5 What are the Difference Between Acoustic Guitar Amps, Electric Guitar Amps and Regular Amps?
- 6 How to Buy an Acoustic Guitar Amp?
- 7 Conclusion
5 Best Acoustic Guitar Amps
1. Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Instrument Amplifier
What good about Loudbox Mini is it brings all you need to make your acoustic guitar sounds louder. This amp is great in portability, clear tonal quality and tagged at cheaper price for a Fishman amp. Powerful at 60 watt so it will match to your performance at parties, church and small venues.
The other things that makes it one of the great acoustic guitar amps for the money is high quality feedback-fighting phase switch. Loudbox Mini also has 2 channels: Fishman’s legendary preamp and tone control designs.
Find the cheapest price here by different sellers. We also encourage you to check the user reviews that – we’re pretty sure – will make most of you agree with us.
2. ZT Lunchbox Acoustic
ZT Lunchbox, great acoustic guitar amplifiers for under 500. We really wished that ZT would name it to another instead of ‘Lunchbox’. But let’s leave the name behind. Regardless the name, ZT Lunchbox has ranked in the top ten best selling acoustic guitar amps in Amazon.com.
It is the first two-channel amplifiers released by ZT, featuring a pro-grade reverb, anti-feedback circuitry, clean amplifier power and highly flexible signal I/O.
Portability is good, about 9 pounds and will fit in your backpack, it’s ready to be your best companion on your acoustic guitar gigs anywhere. The amp’s controls are very usable and straight forward.
ZT Lunchbox Acoustic amp can peak at 200 watts, ensuring you that this little guy can emphasize your guitar sound loud enough at club, café, recording studio or stage. We write this yet came with great flexibility, ZT Lunchbox Acoustic is another best acoustic guitar amplifier we have to include in this list.
3. Roland AC-33
This Roland AC-33 is a 30-watt 2-channel acoustic guitar amps that runs on either AC or DC power. Just grab 8 AA batteries or rechargeable NiMH battery types as its power source. The lightweight adds greater portability and usability to this amp.
Other good features are anti-feedback function; reverb, chorus, and ambience effects; built-in tilt-back stand; built-in effects; and even a decent quality phrase looper with 40 seconds of record time.
Guitar sound generated through this amp is flawless. Very clear, natural acoustic, no distortion and full stereo with 15W twin speakers. Many users have positive reviews and good experience when using this guitar amp.
4. Fender Acoustasonic(TM) 100 Combo
Fender Acoustasonic(TM) 100 Combo, another guitar amplifier under $500 for you Fender Acoustasonic(TM) 100 Combo is a brown-colored, 2-channel acoustic guitar amplifier with independent EQ and effects controls. It’s best for you who wants a 100-watt powerful, great-sounding and versatile amp within the compact design.
It offers good features too like built-in effects; feedback elimination control; voicing control for dreadnought, parlor and jumbo selections; built-in kick stand; and highly portable, lightweight (18 lbs) design with 5-ply plywood sturdy construction.
The Acoustasonic 100 generates acoustic guitar resonance into a crystal-clarity tone through 8″ foam-surround low-frequency driver and high-frequency tweeter. If you also play an electric guitar, just use the Blackface, Tweed and British amp settings, so don’t need another amp for your electric guitar playing.
5. Behringer ACX450 Ultracoustic
Behringer ACX450 Ultracoustic 45-Watt AmplifierIf you expect good portability from this Behringer guitar amp, sorry.. but you’ll be disappointed. Weighing about 30 pounds, we would choose ZT Lunchbox or Roland AC-33 as the winner in portability match.
Instead of looking at portability, we want to consider the goodness of the guitar tone it can reproduce and the flexibility it offers from inside its rugged construction.
Behringer ACX450 Ultracoustic will make your acoustic guitar sounding very big and loud through its powerful 45W original 8″ BUGERA dual-cone speaker.
It’s a 2-channel guitar amp so you can use it to perform with an acoustic guitar and a mic for vocals. Both channels can be set to your liking by using a 4-band equalizer which is equipped with BEHRINGER’s FBQ Feedback Detection System for a high clarity sound.
There’s an RCA stereo input in the back of Behringer ACX450 for plugging in a CD/MP3 player so you can play your guitar together with your favorite songs.
Benefit of Acoustic Guitar Amp
Acoustic guitar amp is most suitable for your acoustic guitar because it produces natural sound. Acoustic guitar has its own unique and individual sound. Most of the people prefer it over electric guitar because of this unique sound quality.
Only acoustic guitar amp can preserve and amplify original sound of your acoustic guitar. All other amps can distort the sound of your acoustic guitar.
Another reason to choose acoustic guitar amp is because it clears feedback and thus provides you clearer sound, no matter which genre you are playing. Overall, acoustic guitar amps are easy to use, their control panel is no rocket science, and you can easily understand and use it.
An acoustic guitar amp if chosen correctly can help you live your sonic dreams! And above all, if you are concerned about tone of your acoustic you will never connect your acoustic guitar with an electric guitar amp.
The Parts of Amp:
An acoustic guitar amplifier can be divided in to three main parts:
1. Pre Amps
- It is the signal processing part of the amplifier that allows you to control volume.
- This is the section of the amp that allows you to plug-in other sources like CD player and tuner.
- Along with volume, preamp also allows you to change bass and treble settings.
- Sound controlling feature of the preamp allows you to naturally control volume of your acoustic guitar.
- This section of the amplifier drives the speakers.
- They are more useful when you are playing your acoustic guitar in a small venue or in a small confined area.
- There is more available power in acoustic guitar poweramps. This is also known as hardroom.
- Cabinet or speaker cabinet contains speakers.
- The number of speakers may vary from 2-12.
How to Distinguish Several Types of Acoustic Guitar Amp?
When you are going to search for best acoustic guitar amp you will come across so many brands that your head will be blown up and you won’t be able to distinguish one acoustic guitar amp from the other.
However, to make things simpler for, acoustic guitar amp can be divided into few basic types. Once you know all about them you will be able to distinguish one from the other and that too quite easily.
According to the shape and structure, we have:
This is in all-in-one amp; you can also call it all rounder amp. This amp contain all, Power amp, Preamp and Cabinet.
Head Amps / Cabinet:
Head Amp comprises of two parts, that is headamp (Preamp + Poweramp) and Cabinet connected to Headamp through connection cables.
According to technology, we have:
Tube Amp – Valve Amp:
Using Vacuum Tubes (old technology at 1930s)
- This is also known as Valve Amp.
- This is the best choice (number one) for professional guitarists.
- These are usually the most expensive acoustic amps. However, they are personal favorites of many of the performers. People believe that they are worth the money spent.
- Tube acoustic amps have unique sound of their own. This is one of the reasons why they are given preference over others.
- The sound produced by these amps is clear, with warm and sweet overdrive.
- Tube amps might require maintenance over time.
- Tube amps/Valve amps are created using Vacuum tube technology.
Solid State Amp:
Using Semiconductor – Transistors.
- These acoustic guitar amps are less expensive than Tube Amps.
- Solid Amps come in many sizes and wattages.
- However, guitarists prefer them over Tube Amps because they come with many built in sounds. E.g. Sample sounds of certain famous numbers or tunes of solos can be found present and are available without any extra effects pedals.
- These are easier to carry than Tube Acoustic amps; this is primarily due to their lighter weight. So if you travel a lot you can seriously think about buying solid acoustic amps.
- They use semiconductor transistors technology for their preamp and power sections.
Using both Vacuum Tubes and Transistor.
- These amps have a separate dedicated channel for acoustic amp as well as a separate dedicated electrical channel.
- Hybrid amps can play excellent acoustic sound from one channel and an equally brilliant electric sound from another channel.
- Some hybrid amps can switch on and off on any one of the channels.
- There is an easy to use anti-feedback equalizer that tunes out unwanted notes. This gives clearer acoustic sound.
- These amps are very popular among live performers.
- These are made by using double technology, i.e. they use both vacuum tubes and transistors.
Using digital IC chip.
Modelling Amps uses Digital Integrated Circuits to emulate the sounds as the sounds of some famous Amp brands. Generally, the sound of these Amps are not as well as these Amps were listed at above, but it still have some of the best quality modeling amp with high expensive price.
What are the Difference Between Acoustic Guitar Amps, Electric Guitar Amps and Regular Amps?
There is big difference between all three. Following are given main features of acoustic amps, electric amps and ordinary amps.
Electric Guitar Amp:
Electric guitar amps significantly color the sound. They are heavily voiced in tone stack and speaker selection.
Most of the electric guitarists choose their amps depending on the sound that they want. This is because different electric guitar amps give different sounds. So probably this is the reason why they choose them according to personal preferences.
Acoustic Guitar Amps:
- They generally produce natural sound.
- These amps contain features like notch filter which clear feedback.
- They have more user-friendly control panel.
- These are also known as practice amps or stage amps.
- They are generally low wattage amps typically 15 watts or less.
- They usually come in small packages.
- They are used with mic and sounds good, but not as good as acoustic amps or electric guitar amps.
How to Buy an Acoustic Guitar Amp?
Finding a great acoustic guitar amp is not that difficult, following are given some of the simplest suggestions that you will help you find acoustic guitar amp.
Choose the Acoustic Amps that Goes Well with Your Acoustic Pickup:
Acoustic amp and acoustic pickup both work in collaboration with one another. Most of the acoustic guitar amps come in accordance with piezo acoustic pickups. However, there are several other types of acoustic pickups other than piezo. Furthermore, piezo pickups are usually modeled with electric-acoustic guitar.
So, when you are going to buy your acoustic amp make sure that it goes well with your acoustic guitar amp. If pickup and amp of your acoustic guitar does not went well the purpose of getting flawless amplification will be lost.
Play Your Acoustic Guitar Amps Before Buying it:
When you are going to buy acoustic guitar amp you should play it first before making any decision. There is simply no other better way to know whether it is according to your taste or not. Visit your local store and play as many amps as you can get your hands on. While playing acoustic amps focus on controls and EQ.
In case your guitar has an equalizer either turn if off or leave it at middle. Leave the volume of your guitar at a moderate 75%. In order to get best results, it is better to taste the sound of the amp alone without messing up with controls of your guitar.
Choose the One that Best Cater with your Needs:
Acoustic Guitar Amp is the one that sounds best and that gives you awesome sound quality. Thus when you are choosing your best acoustic amp keep in mind following things:
- Your main purpose is to find best acoustic amp that means you have to find the amp that suits most with your acoustic guitar and its other accessories.
- The best acoustic amp is the one that urges you to keep on playing, that means it should give you best of sound quality.
- Remember this you are going to move this instrument with you here and there. Especially when you are going for practice sessions and performances, so make sure that its size is easy to carry and supports free movement.
There are hundreds and thousands of acoustic guitar amps available in market. Some of them do not fit with your taste; some are rejected by pickups and other instruments of your acoustic. Remaining few that you think go perfectly well with your acoustic guitar are too expensive that they can leave a permanent dent in your budget.
The question arise what to do? A simplistic answer is to do some extra search. Start searching for the secondhand model of your shortlisted acoustic amp. In case you do not get your hands on your favorite one this time, if possible, wait and make savings until you are able to collect enough money to save your favorite one.
However, there is one negative thing; you won’t be able to test the instruments. In this case, it would be better to get suggestions from someone who really knows all, and we mean “everything” about acoustic amps. This person should be so much knowledgeable that you can trust and follow his suggestions and recommendations without any doubt.